Celebrating 135 Years of Unmistakable Sound
For well over a century the Gretsch sound has been recognized as big and powerful, loud and clear.
In the early 1950s, Chet Atkins’ flawless finesse and Duane Eddy’s infamous twang jolted the airwaves with a sound that would forever mark That Great Gretsch Sound™ as one to be reckoned with.
When George Harrison led the British Invasion to American shores a legacy of sound soared, fueling decades of icons in Billy Duffy, Tim Armstrong and, of course, the thundering rhythms of the late Malcolm Young.
Shaking Walls with That Great Gretsch Sound™
The Sonic Qualities of Gretsch? Cathedral Like. The power I can get from cranking up a White Falcon in full rock ‘n’ roll mode is like opening a gate to the netherworld or ascending the steps to heaven… depends on the day and the song.
Gretsch 6120's have a magic about them. The combination of a hollow body arch top and the Filter’Tron pickups suited my playing style perfectly. When I dug in with my guitar pick, I was able to get a wonderful crunch out of my 6120. When I fingerpicked, all the notes clearly came through without once touching the master volume. What a sound!
I own a 1971 Country Club Baldwin-era Gretsch. It’s one of those Gretsch's where it's a set neck — old-school guitar building. It’s the best sounding guitar I have ever owned for playing through clean amps and I don’t have to pad the guitar to play at high gain and volume. When I throw it through over-drive it resonates forever. It’s also my favorite guitar to play live and take on the road.
The Gretsch tone is a true classic that never goes out of style. From the bottom-end twang to the chiminess of the high-mids that can ring out and resonate in ways that not all guitars will, it’s one of the few tones that sounds great clean or overdriven — that’s true versatility. With many other guitars you have to pick just one; they can’t do both well.
To commemorate 135 years of remarkable sound, we proudly present two new limited edition models.
G6118T-135 LTD 135th Anniversary™
- Limited Edition for 2018
- Opulent 2-Tone Casino Gold on Dark Cherry Metallic with matching Dark Cherry pickguard and pickup bezels
- 16-inch, 3-ply maple hollow body with ’59 trestle bracing
- 12”-radius ebony fingerboard with 22 medium jumbo frets
- Pearloid Neo-Classic™ thumbnail inlays and matching mother of pearl Gretsch logo headstock
- Dual High Sensitive Filter’Tron™ pickups
- String-Thru Bigsby® B6CP vibrato tailpiece
- Rocking bar bridge on pinned ebony base
- Master volume with treble bleed circuit, master tone with Squeezebox™ PIO capacitor and individual pickup volume controls provide complete tone-shaping flexibility
- Includes hardshell case
G5420TG Electromatic® 135th Anniversary LTD
- Limited Edition for 2018
- Available in 2-Tone Dark Cherry Metallic over Casino Gold with matching pickguard and pickup bezels
- Gold Hardware
- 16-inch maple hollow body
- Maple neck
- 12” radius compressed ebony fingerboard with 22 medium jumbo frets
- Dual Black Top Filter’Tron™ pickups
- Bigsby® B60 vibrato tailpiece
- Adjusto-Matic™ bridge with secured compressed ebony base for pinpoint intonation
- Pearloid Neo-Classic™ thumbnail fingerboard inlays and matching mother of pearl Gretsh headstock logo