A Salute to the Greatest Rhythm Guitarist of all Time
Malcolm Young is, without question, one of the greatest guitarists in rock and roll history.
For over 40 years his riffs have inspired generations of rock & metal guitarists.
Malcolm Young is the best rhythm guitar player in the world of rock…period. His contribution to all of us who followed in his footsteps is immeasurable. Rock on Malcolm.
I never knew what a real rhythm guitar player was until I heard Malcolm Young. There never was or will be one like him (again) in the world. I've been trying to play guitar with precision like him for years and still haven't even come close. I want to thank Malcolm for giving me something to strive for.
I learned how to play guitar listening to Malcolm. Why not learn from the best rhythm guitar player ever?
When the smoke clears, the Holy Trinity of the Greatest Rhythm Guitarists in the World will always include Malcolm Young!
Powering an endless row of full stacks, his tone is like a hell-bent freight train:
driving, deafening and totally unstoppable.
Mal's the band's foundation. He's rock solid and he pumps it along with the power of a machine.
Sometimes I look at Malcolm while he's playing, and I'm completely awestruck by the sheer power of it…
I mean, as soon as you hear that first…chord, you know it's him. To do this… you have to be a master of rhythm, and that's exactly what Mal is.
Recreating the Beast
To honor this legendary rock icon, the Gretsch Custom Shop is proud to offer the Malcolm Young G6131MY-CS "Salute" Jet™.
Beginning in 2008, the Gretsch team painstakingly examined and documented Malcolm’s famed #1 guitar: a battle-worn ’63 Jet Firebird™.
The Beast Unleashed
After hours of development and testing, the final prototype was placed in Malcolm’s hands and the cannons of rock erupted.
The Malcolm Young "Salute" Jet puts his thunderous power in your hands.
G6131MY-CS Custom Shop Malcolm Young “Salute” Jet™
The Malcolm Young “Salute” Jet is a meticulously crafted Gretsch Custom Shop recreation accurate down to every last nick, scratch and dent acquired over Young’s long and raucously illustrious career.
- Double-cutaway chambered mahogany body with a stripped, maple top with “thin-skin” lacquer finish
- Detailed heavy Relic aging
- Mahogany set neck with “U” profile and 12”-radius ebony fingerboard with bone nut
- 23 medium jumbo frets (including zero fret) and pearloid Neo-Classic™ “thumbnail” inlays
- A single, custom-wound TV Jones® pickup
- Space Control™ bridge with ebony base
- ’60s-style Jet tailpiece
- Worn nickel/gold hardware
- Schaller® tuners
- Vintage-style hardshell case
- Embroidered Custom Shop towel featuring Malcolm Young's signature
- Levy’s® leather Custom Shop strap
- Original Malcolm Young picks and “Moneytalks” tour dollar bill from the AC/DC archive
- Certificate of Authenticity
Available Summer 2017 at select Gretsch retailers.